There are dozens of books available on teaching Yoga and meditation to children of various ages. There are also inspiring children’s books that convey the message of Yoga. We’ve selected some of the ones we’ve carried for years at Integral Yoga Distribution that have been the most popular.
1. Hatha Yoga for Kids by Kids – by the Children of Yogaville
This is pure Hatha Yoga by young people who take it seriously. The clear photographs will inspire children to try these asanas themselves. The text is simple and direct
2. Meditating with Children: the Art of Concentration and Centering: A Workbook on New Educational Methods Using Meditation – by Deborah Rozman, Ph.D.
3. Enlightening Tales: As Told By Sri Swami Satchidananda
Filled with wisdom, adventure and surprises, these timeless tales are at once entertaining and instructive.
4. Sparkling Together – by Jyoti Ma & illustrations by Chandra Devi
Sparkling Together contains eight colorfully illustrated stories each encompassing one of the challenges common to childhood experience. This interplanetary fantasy is geared toward children ages 5-9.
5. Kidding Around Yoga – Haris Lender & Cassie Dixon
Discover and practice Yoga through these fun Yoga Stories written by Kidding Around Yoga’s creator, Haris Lender, and Kidding Around Yoga’s first Licensee, Cassie Dixon. These 15 stories will take you on a Yoga adventure with over 50 poses and pictures.
6. A Child’s Journey into Yoga: Based on the Core Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – Lydia Nitya Griffiths
Based on the foundational teachings of Yoga, the Sutras of Patanjali, A Child’s Journey into Yoga is a lesson-filled story about the aspects of Yoga beyond exercise. The story follows the life of a girl (and some of her friends) from elementary school into early adulthood. This book was designed to inspire young yogis to stay the course on their inward journey toward self-knowledge and inner peace.
7. Yoga Affirmations Coloring Book – Swami Satchidananda with illustrations by Eloisa Schichilone
Inspiration meets whimsy in this unique coloring book! Words of wisdom from renowned Yoga Master Swami Satchidananda are paired with Italian artist Eloisa Scichilone’s charming characters engaged in Yoga and playful activities — perfect for coloring. Another unique feature is the translation of the affirmations — from English into various languages: French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish.
8. Yogaville Coloring Book – Lydia Nitya Griffiths & Ian F. Wesley
This coloring book tells the story of Satchidananda Ashram (Yogaville), the Yoga ashram and community in central Virginia. It was founded in 1979 by Swami Satchidananda, who is also the founder of Integral Yoga. Yogaville is a place where people of different faiths and backgrounds can come to study and practice Yoga and realize their essential oneness. It is also the home of the Light Of Truth Universal Shrine (LOTUS). This unique interfaith shrine honors the Spirit that unites all the world religions, while it celebrates their diversity. This coloring book is a wonderful way for children to discover the joy of Yoga and explore Yogaville!
9. Fly Like A Butterfly – by Shakta Kaur Khalsa
features: over 160 photos of children enjoying Yoga in duo-tone black and white and Yoga stories in which the Yoga postures are done as the story unfolds
109. Little Yoga – by Rebecca Whitford and Martina Selway
A Toddler’s First Book of Yoga
10. Itsy Bitsy Yoga – by Helen Garabedian
If you’ve been searching for an excellent way to bond with your baby and improve his or her health, Itsy Bitsy Yoga is the solution you’ve been looking for.