Amy Wheeler, Ph.D., C-IAYT and M. Mala Cunningham, Ph.D., C-IAYT will present an online workshop on “Mental Health, Brain Science and Yoga” from July 28 – August 3, 2021. For everyone, especially mental health professionals, Yoga teachers, Yoga therapists, and healthcare workers. During this online workshop, learn about integrating Yoga and mental health through research, theory, and practice sessions.
Research has shown that mindfulness, meditation, and Yoga practices have the ability to positively impact mental and emotional health. Yoga, neuroscience, and mindfulness powerfully influence resiliency, emotional health, and healing related to anxiety, depression, stress, trauma, and mood states.
Explore concepts of well-being and health through the lens of brain science, neuropsychology, and Yoga practices. Learn how chronic stress and trauma influence behavior and mood states as well as the influence of the vagus nerve and vagal toning on healing.
The workshop will include:
• A review of polyvagal theory, stress, and Yoga
• How yogic practices influence our neurobiology, brain, and hormones
• Research on Yoga practices and healing
• The importance of the vagus nerve and vagal toning.
• Neuro-therapies for healing by both practitioners and for self-healing
• Practices that rewire the brain and positively impact mood states
• Research on Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) and how trauma affects mental health and physical health outcomes
Live sessions on weekdays at 11 am–1 pm and 4–6 pm, and on Saturday and Sunday at 11 am–2 pm and 4–6 pm ET.
Attendance at live sessions is required for certification. The live sessions will be recorded and the recordings are usually posted within one day for program participants to review. Recordings will be available for review for 8 weeks after the program ends, until September 28.
Students will be asked to keep their cameras on and be face to face to the camera during the live online sessions.
In addition you will have access to recorded Ashram meditations and hatha classes, and inspiring talks with Sri Swami Satchidananda. You will also have access to an online social community to connect and communicate with other participants about this course.
Continuing Education (CE) Opportunities
• Yoga Alliance (YA): Approximately 30 contact hours. You can input your contact hours using your YA login information.
• Integral Yoga Teachers Association (IYTA) can provide you a CE certificate with your program’s total contact hours for a $10 fee (free for IYTA members.) For more information, email [email protected]
• International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT): Approved Professional Development (APD) course eligible for IAYT continuing education credits. (It is the students’ responsibility to request a certificate of completion and submit all required documents, hours, syllabus, etc. on the IAYT website.)