There are many good online resources for looking up Sanskrit words, finding books on the subject and finding help with pronunciation. We’ve listed some of the best and classic resources on the language.
2. Online Sanskrit Pronunciation Guide by Tilak Pyle
A resource for Yoga teachers and students interested in learning how to better pronounce and understand the Sanskrit words that we use and encounter in our classes, conversations, texts, and teachings. Here you will find these Sanskrit words in the original Devanagari script, the corresponding transliteration, English translations of the terms and their roots, and streamable audio files of these words being pronounced.
3. Asana dictionary by Tilak Pyle
5. 200 Yoga Terms in Sanskrit
6. Online Dictionary Widget
This dictionary is powered by Arthur Anthony McDonell’s ‘A Practical Sanskrit Dictionary’. You can do a dictionary lookup for a Sanskrit phrase, or a reverse-lookup of an English word.
7. Dictionary of Sanskrit Names by the Integral Yoga Institute
A comprehensive list of beautiful, ancient Sanskrit names with their significance and spiritual meanings. Numerous references to classical scriptures of India are included to help in research and further study of a name. The special qualities implied by each name are highlighted with cross-references to other names having the same quality.
8. The Language of Yoga by Nicolai Bachman, published by Sounds True.
Learn how to read, write and pronounce over 200 asana names and over 300 Sanskrit terms relating to Yoga. Includes 7 chants, asana names in alphabetical order and separate tracks for Ashtanga sequences.
9. 108 Sanskrit Flash Cards with CD by Nicolai Bachman (photo: FlashCards.jpg)
Learn how to read, write and pronounce the Sanskrit alphabet. 108 color-coded cards with accompanying audio CD specifically designed to organically step you through the letters in alphabetical order leading up to words.
10. Interactive Sanskrit Alphabet by Vyaas Houston, American Sanskrit Institute (photo: SanskritAlphabet.jpg)