Working in an office or at a computer for prolonged periods of time can put strain on the neck, shoulder and back muscles which in turn can lead to tension and stiffness. This tension can cause headaches, as well as back, neck and shoulder pain. If left unattended, it could also impact your ability to function effectively at work and your overall quality of life. Simple techniques such as Office Yoga may help alleviate the pain and other symptoms by releasing tension and increasing muscle strength and flexibility.
Work is a necessity in our lives. It is better to make the best of the responsibility imposed upon us. Most of us are locked up for hours inside the office or are hooked to computers in our cubicles. Hence, physical ailments, stiffness of various muscles in the body and mental fatigue gradually make their existence, transforming our lives into a complete hell.
Doctors and psychologists have opined together that working out simple yoga postures in the office is not only effective in terms of physical exercises but also enlivens the spirit and mind of the tired employee. Simple techniques may help alleviate the pain and other symptoms by releasing tension and increasing muscle strength and flexibility. They can be performed right on the office chair, any time, any day. Take a few minutes for yourself and incorporate some Yoga into your daily routine. Here are some simple Yoga techniques for:
Neutral sitting or standing should most essentially be practiced. Often we fail to place ourselves in the correct posture whether standing or sitting and soon the problem begins. However, this simple exercise will help you to keep the position of your spine in order.
* Place your feet hip-distance apart and bend forward.
* Then look down at your feet. Your feet should be parallel (||).
* If you are sitting, keep check that your hips and your knees are in right angles.
* Sit straight and tall at the edge of your chair.
The Warrior Pose is recommended for relaxation of the upper body.
Here are the steps:
1. Raise your arms to the sides with fingers pointed out.
2. Take a big step with the left foot turned out and knees bent.
3. Your right leg should be straight and planted on the ground.
4. Keep breathing.
5. Keep your upper body in rest.
6. After few minutes, switch sides. Now, extend your right leg.
Breathing Techniques To De-stress:
Are you yawning heavily at the start of the day or in the post lunch session?
Your stress has increased so profusely that you are falling asleep in office?
Try this breathing technique, it will surely help you to release your stress and you will be fresh to start your work again.
1. Put your right thumb on your right nostril.
2. Deeply breathe in and out the air using your left nostril.
3. Similarly press your left nostril with your right index finger.
4. Inhale and exhale as much as air you can.
5. Practice this for 1 minute, if you have time, for it to be effective.
While sitting on a chair or in front of the computer, your neck gets affected the most with terrible aching and severe cases, at times leading to spondylitis. Here is a simple way which can relieve you from the stress caused and prevent you from any kind of aching.
1. Keep your hands on your waist and slowly lower your chin so that your neck is relaxed.
2. Your entire body should be straight while you are doing this exercise.
3. Hold 2/3 breath with you neck lowered.
4. Gradually lift up your neck to its neutral position.
5. Then lower you right ear to your right shoulder and repeat the same for the left side.
6. Finally rotate your entire neck from its right to the central neutral position. Keep 2-3 breaths for areas where you need a relaxation.
7. Repeat the same for the left side.
For Your Shoulders:
Shoulder problems often crop up when you sit in the same position for a long period of time. Here is an easy method to keep away your shoulder pains.
1. Stretch your hands on both sides up to your ears, while you inhale.
2. Drop them down to your sides in their normal position, while you exhale.
3. The process should be gradual and raising/dropping of hands should follow your breathing.
Your eyes are mirrors to your soul and the most divine gift. Therefore it becomes your duty to take utmost care of them. Overusing your eyes, improper light during work and stress can harm your eyes. Here are some simple ways to prevent any kind of damage to this precious gift.
1. Look forward and straight.
2. Gradually look up towards the ceiling keeping your head & neck in the neutral position and by sucking in the air.
3. Slowly drop your sight down on the floor while taking out the air and maintaining the position of the neck and head.
4. Practice this at least 5 times.
5. Then blink your eyes several times and close them to relax.
6. Do the same side wise.
7. Then gradually rotate your eyes in a clockwise manner.
Reprinted from A2ZYoga.com